Design studio focused on book design, illustration, and environment design

Say

Hello

Community

'Murigold

Happy Fourth of July! #MakeAmericaGardenAgain

This article is in: Being Human, Community, Illustration

New Zealand flag redesign

The four top candidates for the redesign of the New Zealand flag. Design as a public trust There are two design-related stories circulating in recent news that have to do with brands that are “public property.” The first is the logo for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. The Olympic games feel like they belong to all of […]

This article is in: Branding, Community, Design, Logo Design

Some stories run for their lives.

When I started reading the novel, it seemed distant, disconnected from my daily life. Then the shootings took place at the in Charleston, South Carolina.

This article is in: Being Human, Books, Community, Ideas

On being social: the Handshake Machine

This is the first in a series of articles called On Being Social. The goal is to think about how individuals and brands should approach social media in a way that is authentic, healthy and beneficial. I’d love to hear your thoughts on these topics as I’m thinking through them–send me your comments through your social channel of choice or contact me directly.

This article is in: Community, Illustration, On Being Social, Social Media

Palatino, from Anatomy of a Typeface, by Alexander Lawson

Hermann Zapf, the designer behind Zapfino, Palatino, Optima and many other typefaces, passed away last week. The world is more beautiful because of him.

This article is in: Community, Design, Type Design, Typography

My worst client

There are some clients who are a joy to work with. They have all their material together, a clear idea of the goals of the project, and a definite timeline. They value the designer’s time and sanity, and give clear and constructive feedback in a timely manner.

Then there’s this client.

This article is in: Being Human, Community, Creativity, Design, Layout

WordCamp 2015

Salient thoughts from WordCamp Minneapolis 2015 For the past three years I’ve attended the WordCamp conference in Minneapolis (and have heard and made jokes about “NerdCamp.”) But each year I’ve learned a surprising amount for a one day event. As in the past, the volunteer presenters gave some solid sessions on web design and development, […]

This article is in: Community, Design, The Nerdatorium, Typography, Web design

Day of the Book #shelfie

A #shelfie of the books we’re reading in our house–some for me, and some for the kiddos. The International Day of the Book The 23rd of April is celebrated in many places as the International Day of the Book, or World Book Day. UNESCO declared April 23 to be World Book and Copyright Day as […]

This article is in: Book Design, Books, Community, Ideas, Social Media, Travel

Easter Sunday headlines

These are some of the headlines from Easter Sunday. If Easter were about plastic eggs and pastels, candy and churchy activities, I would not celebrate it. Probably no one would. But Easter has more to do with today’s headlines than with today’s Easter baskets – it’s about the beginning of the restoration of all […]

This article is in: Being Human, Community, Ideas

mlk-birmingham-march

Martin Luther King, Jr’s “Letter from a Birmingham Jail”

This article is in: Being Human, Community, Ideas